Happy Friday, everyone!
Before I share with you this simple, delicious, summery (WAH summer) shrimp dish,
here’s another round of Bloggity Business.
1. I don’t remember if I told you this or not,
but I “guest posted” for my philosophy teacher at Governor’s school.
We were all required to write about macrowikinomics as our final assignment.
Starting last Thursday, my teacher JJ Sylvia started posting them, and mine was
the first one to be posted! Eep!
Here’s my post; make sure you check out the rest of his awesome blog, too!
2. These biscuits.
Vegan Biscuits. Now, I’m not vegan, but I’ll take ten.
Almond milk is kind of my new thing (so great in baked goods!).
3. Not a blog thing, but I’m totally eating pumpkin bread right now.
I LOVE AUTUMN.
But that doesn’t mean I don’t love summer.
The following recipe is a perfect tribute to all the great things I’ll miss.
You’ve probably learned by now that I sort of love to cook. A lot.
However, now that the school year/swim season has started
and my work schedule’s in full swing,
I don’t always have time to cook a four-course meal.
Enter beach shrimp.
Shrimp are combined with a little rice and tangy, light Italian salad dressing,
fresh summer vegetables are sauteed in just a bit of butter,
and rice is the pretty, carby blanket on which these sit.
Using frozen, cooked shrimp and quick-cooking rice,
this dish is healthy AND it only takes about twenty minutes.
Anyone has twenty minutes, right?
Pretty summer vegetables, why must you leave me?
For the next few weeks, I’ll be cramming in all the summer squash,
tomatoes, corn, and berries I possibly can into my recipes.
Your summer won’t be complete without them.
Also, I know what you’re thinking.
Dang, this girl eats a lot of seafood.
Well… I do. I’m sorry if that’s not your thing. It’s ours, though.
If I have a choice between chicken or fish – it’s always going to be fish.
Plus I have this thing about not buying chicken unless it’s at a super low price.
I’m just weird like that.
And, in all honesty, this recipe would be delicious with chicken! Just saute it a little longer.
Whether you’re eating this with shrimp, chicken, or vegetarian-style,
make this soon before summer goes away for a while!
Skillet Beach Shrimp with Sauteed Vegetables and Rice
1 lb large shrimp (I used frozen, cooked)
1/2 cup light Italian salad dressing
1/2 cup cooked rice
1 medium zucchini, sliced
1 medium yellow squash, sliced
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon butter
more cooked rice, for serving
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add summer squash and mushrooms and saute until cooked. Covering expedites this process.
3. In another skillet (sorry), combine shrimp (I’m presuming frozen cooked. If that’s not what you’re using, cook in a little olive oil or chicken broth substitute for as long as necessary), Italian dressing, and 1/2 cup rice. Combine over medium heat until warm. Serve layered, with rice on the bottom, veggies in the middle, and shrimp on top.
Have a wonderful weekend!